President Obama arrives in Los Angeles for 2-day go to
LOS ANGELES (KABC) – President Barack Obama made a two-day visit to Los Angeles on Thursday afternoon.
He started his tour at the technology company Cross Campus in Santa Monica, where he praised millennials and talked about the economy. He stressed the need for the government to invest more in new technology, make college more affordable, pass immigration reform and raise the minimum wage.
“In a way, entrepreneurship is in the DNA of this generation,” Obama said.
Later that day he participated in a fundraiser for the Democratic National Committee at actress Gwyneth Paltrow’s Westside home. Tickets for the event cost up to $ 32,000.
Paltrow said to the President, “You are so pretty … I can barely speak properly.”
The president is expected to announce during a speech in San Dimas on Friday that he will reserve 350,000 acres of the San Gabriel Mountains as a national monument.
Police urged the public to avoid parts of Santa Monica, Brentwood, Westwood and Beverly Hills while the President was visiting.
Roads to Avoid:
- From 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm, avoid the Centinela Avenue area between Ocean Park and Olympic Boulevard, and Lincoln Boulevard between Pico and Wilshire Boulevards.
- Between 3:30 PM and 5:00 PM, avoid the Santa Monica Boulevard area between 26th Street and Ocean Avenue, and the Ocean Avenue area between Pico Boulevard and San Vicente Boulevard.
- Avoid the San Vicente Boulevard area between Ocean Avenue and Bundy Drive. the area around Sunset Boulevard between Allenford and Barrington; and the Sunset Boulevard area between Allenford Avenue and Roxbury Drive.
- From 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm, avoid the Beverly Glen Boulevard area between Sunset and Santa Monica Boulevards, and the Wilshire Boulevard area between Sawtelle and Santa Monica Boulevards.
- Hilgard Avenue in Westwood between Le Conte and Weyburn streets is closed from 8:00 a.m. Thursday to 6:00 p.m. Friday.
The City News Service contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2021 KABC-TV. All rights reserved.